Koine Greek Geek

This blog is for those who are interested in Koine (Biblical) Greek, currently studying Koine Greek; as well as those who have questions about Koine Greek. Debates and commenting are encouraged, but inappropriate comments/replies will be deleted by the blog publisher. Readers are encouraged to check my book and website posts constantly for updates.

Name:

"Oyarsa" for those who don't know, is the name of an archangel (or "god" with a little 'g') in C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I liked the character, so I stole the name. Who am I? I am a library science student in Illinois who has a variety of interests--too many to list! I have worked in libraries for five years and counting.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Greek Vocabulary Cards

I was going to include the Basics of Biblical Greek Vocabulary Cards n my "Find Greek Books post" until I reasoned myself out of it

  1. Vocabulary cards are not a "book".
  2. When I checked Worldcat, they were only available in two libraries: Trinity Episcopal School in Ambridge, Pennsylvania(available on reserve at the library, so the odds are unlikely that they'd interlibrary loan it), and Concordia University in Saint Paul, Minnesota (also apparently only for use in house). Odds are, neither library is in convenient distance for 99% of the people who stumble across or regularly read this blog.
  3. These vocabulary cards are an excellent timesaver and a good resource.


I own the set at home, though I didn't purchase it until after I took my first year of Koine Greek in college. I wish I had known about this set of Koine Greek cards then, it would have saved me many hours of writing out Greek vocabulary words, checking to make sure I had all the accents, checking to make sure I had all the accents placed correctly....

Anyway, some pluses I have noticed from owning this set of Greek Vocabulary cards:


  1. Good features

    • Keyed to William D. Mounce’s Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
      Frequency numbers on every card
    • Principal parts given for verbs
    • Cards numbered for easy assignment
    • First 320 cards based on order of Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
    • Cards 321–1,000 ordered according to frequency

  2. Words are listed with the genitive case ending and the article.
  3. Size and shape of cards more conducive to more comfortable and convenient holding. (Easier to handle than the VisEd set I also found.)


For those of you who own Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek or those who just want to brush up on vocabulary, buy this set; you won't regret it.

9 Comments:

Blogger john s. said...

I need to add that to my shopping list. You can also use zhubert's site to act as online flash cards. You can set a minimum frequency and it will flash words for you to review.

I have started looking at Mounce's flash card program that came with the book. I may start using that at home.

But, a set of old-fashioned flash cards is good for when I am (rarely) away from the computer.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

John S,

I knew about using the virtual flashcards on Zhubert's site, but I figure that most people like to have the "old fashioned" paper cards; that way, you don't have to worry about a website being down for maintainence or an ISP being knocked out interfering with your Greek studies.

Let me know what you think about the set. :-)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm in a Greek class that doesn't use Mounce's book. I have the vocab cards but can't find an index sheet. I'm trying to find the vocab words that go with the lessons but it's a struggle to find them in 1000 cards - they don't seem to be in alphabetical order or any order that I can tell. Any idea where I can find an index sheet or do I need to spend an afternoon putting them in alphabetical order?
Thanks!
MS

6:48 PM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

Anonymous--

There is no index of Mounce's vocabulary cards, to my knowledge; you will have to put them in order.

I recommend you sit down with a copy of BDAG (it should be available at your college/university/seminary library if you do not own it) and spend time sorting cards. If you first sort cards by first letter, then go on sorting the cards alphabetically (using BDAG to check your alphabetizing if/as needed).

When you are done, you need only to write out an index for your own use, type up an index, or plan on being very careful that you don't err in your alphabetizing.

Best of luck wit your greek studies,

Oyarsa

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks - I've been working on alphabetizing them as I have time. I'm thinking that an index might be helpful to others so might provide it when I'm done. Although, first have to figure out how to type in Greek.

I appreciate your site. I'm an engineer by background and working on Greek on my own to enhance my Bible study so it's good to have some way to interact with other folks that are interested in Greek.

MS

10:43 PM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

Melodie,

There is a good koine greek font at Bible.org which you can download.

Let me know when your index is complete, and I'll see what I can do about linking to it/uploading it here, whichever you prefer.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Oyarsa,
I just actually looked at the dates on your blog posts - so are you still trying to keep this up? You've responded quickly but I just realized the posts were basically all put up a couple of years ago.
Don't want to be a bother if you've moved on to other interests.
I've gotten the cards sorted but work has been crazy so haven't gotten very far on typing up an index. I do want to get it done before someone knocks the box on the floor!
MS

2:36 PM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

Melodie,

Blogging is a hobby, and I engage in it when I have time. I will try to review some more Greek tools this weekend.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I offer some other biblical Greek tools. I've uploaded to "Flashcard Exchange" all of the words occurring more than 10 times in the N.T., based on Bruce Metzger's frequency lists. Find them at:

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/mycards?t=1&q=metzger&search=Search

Also, please visit my Greek teaching blog: "It's All Greek to YOU!" and my Greek book site:

http://wermuthsgreekbook.com/

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home