Koine Greek Geek

This blog is for those who are interested in Koine (Biblical) Greek, currently studying Koine Greek; as well as those who have questions about Koine Greek. Debates and commenting are encouraged, but inappropriate comments/replies will be deleted by the blog publisher. Readers are encouraged to check my book and website posts constantly for updates.

Name:

"Oyarsa" for those who don't know, is the name of an archangel (or "god" with a little 'g') in C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I liked the character, so I stole the name. Who am I? I am a library science student in Illinois who has a variety of interests--too many to list! I have worked in libraries for five years and counting.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Greek Verses Under Construction

Evidently Blogger doesn't have the "Symbol" font available, so I will have to go in and manually code each letter, accent, etc of the greek alphabet. Whee!

4 Comments:

Blogger john s. said...

You should look at some of the sites that have the greek NT verses as images. zhubert.com is one example. This one allows you download one verse at a time as an image. Another is greekbible.com. This site has each individual word as an image.

An alternative is to use the transliteration that is commonly used, but that I have trouble with.

I plan on checking back and commenting on your translations. I had two semesters of attic greek in college, and am trying to learn koine for Bible study.

10:55 AM  
Blogger john s. said...

Oyarsa -

Okay, after looking at your problem, I decided to experiment using my own blog. I did a couple of test posts, which I have now deleted, but have found a quick and easy answer to your problem. If you go to www.greekbible.com and select the passage that you want, using the Palatino Linotype font, you can then cut and paste a passage into the Blogger post editor. It will automatically set the font family to the Palatine Linotype font, that includes all of the diacritical marks used in Koine Greek. With that you can now focus your time on learning Greek. Here is an example:

ἐν τούτῳ ἐγνώκαμεν τὴν ἀγάπην, ὅτι ἐκεῖνος ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ ἔθηκεν: καὶ ἡμεῖς ὀφείλομεν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἀδελφῶν τὰς ψυχὰς θεῖναι.

Can you identify the verse?

j

6:24 PM  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

J,

Thanks for the help; however, not all of the verse displayed properly, so I am unable to say what it is offhand (that, and I do not have any of my Greek materials on me at the moment.

Oyarsa

5:36 PM  
Blogger john s. said...

O -

I think the fonts may be an issue. I changed the base font in my template to Palatino Linotype. This is a font that is included in all recent versions of Windows and supports greek well. It is also the version of the greek text that I pulled off of www.greekbible.com.

Sadly, you can't put images into comments, otherwise I would have put the image from www.zhubert.com instead of the text.

I think the images might be the cleanest way to put it into your post and have it look nice.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home